Thursday, July 30, 2015

Why I Will Not Attend Bersih 4

source: http://www.loyarburok.com/2015/07/29/will-not-attend-bersih4/
Abdul Haleem explains why he won’t be there.

This is not going to be well received by many. But let me emphasise the title of this opinion piece. Why I (meaning me, personally and singularly) will not join the Bersih 4 Rally. I am not advocating anyone against joining the rally. I am speaking for myself.

Before you crucify me, let me remind you that I was there for Bersih 2 and Bersih 3. I was briefly arrested during Bersih 2. Google it and you’ll find my opinion piece which I wrote after both rallies. If you need to know, I was based across the causeway and made a point to come down for it. Twice.

Now that I am based in KL, let me tell you why I will not take part in Bersih 4.

I am disappointed with BERSIH 2.0. If BERSIH 2.0 is fighting for fair and clean election, it should have gone all out whacking PKR and Pakatan Rakyat for the KajangGate circus. What was the outcome of KajangGate? We have a new MB for Selangor and a new ADUN for Kajang. So what did the people of Kajang in specific and Selangor in general gain? Bersih 2 and 3 was against all the manipulation, corruption and unfairness of our General Election. If Bersih can go all out despite all the odds taking it to the streets for the GE, why did they allow PKR and Pakatan to get away with just with a slap in the wrist for KajangGate?

On both previous rallies — though it was organized by Bersih — on the actual day, it was hijacked by the political parties. On Bersih 3, all hell broke loose when clowns from PKR got hold of the mic and started the fiery speeches which were very provocative. The cops were no angels too. During Bersih 3, the moment this particular political figure started his provocative speech, me and my friends got up and left the scene for some chilled drinks. By the time we finished the first drink the whole area turned into a war zone. We don’t need to be reminded of police brutality during Bersih 3. I surely don’t want to see innocent young ones beaten up for taking part on a democratic process. I don’t think this time around is going to be different. The Home Minister is also the DPM since yesterday and the Kebab still going mad for all the wrong reasons.

With all the mess in PAS and GHB, can the rally depend on Pasukan Amal PAS again for the fantastic job they have done in the past? No one can deny the superb job done by Pasukan Amal PAS during Bersih 2 and Bersih 3.

As Bersih 4 is going to be an overnight event, I worry for safety and security. Knowing Malaysians who will even bring their toddlers for the rally, I personally think this is not a good idea to have it overnight. Anyone remember the chaos of Occupy Dataran? I think is not impossible for anyone to cause trouble in the wee hours, jeopardising the safety of rally goers.

Well in my opinion I do think it’s not worth it for me to join the Bersih 4 rally. Again, this is my own opinion and I am not asking anyone to subscribe to it. But I will stand for your right to peaceful assembly. In fact, I encourage those who were not there for Bersih 2 and 3 to go and take part this time around. Be safe. Make friends and understand how nice Malaysians can be to each other on occasions like this.

No comments: